Film Studies, Photography, Art History, Italian Conversation in Paris and Rome
The Fall 2022 Paris and Rome Program is a unique opportunity to explore two of the world’s greatest capitals through the prism of art, photography, and film.
The journey will begin in September in Paris. During the first half of this semester-length program, you will explore Paris, the City of Lights. It is also the birthplace of the influential French “New Wave” film movement and home to the Cinematheque Français, which houses one of the world’s most extensive motion picture archives. Learn international film history, theory, and aesthetics and study film directors as well as photography throughout the program with Professor Michael Stinson. In addition, study Art History with a local instructor. Add Italian Conversation while you are in Rome if you want to immerse yourself into the Italian language!
At the midpoint of the program you will have a week to travel on your own and will reconvene in Rome, where you will continue film studies and photography courses and study conversational Italian with a local instructor. The Eternal City of Rome is one of the original centers of cinema and host to the legendary film studios of Cinecittá. The weeks leading up to the holiday season are a wonderful time to be in Rome – the weather is crisp, holiday markets are open, and vendors sell roasted chestnuts on the street corners. When not busy studying film, you’ll explore all that Rome has to offer and learn to capture stunning images of your trip against a backdrop of over two thousand years of art and architecture.
Wednesday, August 31, 2022 (Depart U.S.) to Saturday, November 26, 2022 (depart Rome)
Arrive in Paris on Thursday, September 1, 2022
Depart Paris on Saturday, October 8, 2022
Mid-Term Break October 8 - October 16, 2022
Arrive in Rome on Sunday, October 16, 2022
November 1, 2022 All Saint's Day (National Holiday)
Professor Michael Stinson has been a full-time faculty member in the department of Film and Media Studies at SBCC for the past 20 years. During his tenure, he has directed seven international study programs and taught courses in screenwriting, film production, cinematography, directing, editing, and film history. Professor Stinson was awarded a Master of Fine Arts in Film and Television from U.C.L.A. and worked as a screenwriter for Warner Brothers, Paramount and Universal Studios. He was the Co-Director of the Student Screenwriting and Filmmaking Competition at the Santa Barbara International Film Festival in 2018 and is leading the 2022 Fall program to Paris and Rome. Prior to film school, he lived and worked abroad for ten years as a photojournalist and was based in Japan for over six years.
You can reach Professor Stinson at email@example.com
As part of the academic program, students will participate in many excursions, including: (These excursions are tentative and subject to change)
- One-day excursion to Versailles, or similar from Paris
- One-day excursion to Orvieto, or similar, from Rome
In addition, to acquaint program participants with the cultural aspects of life in Rome and Paris, a series of optional free or inexpensive activities is planned, which varies but often includes lectures on local customs and contemporary issues, sports events, walking tours, and meals and conversations with local culture.
- You do not have to be currently enrolled at SBCC to apply for the program. However, you must meet the following requirements:
- Must be in good academic standing to participate in the program
- Must be at least 18 years old on the day of departure
- Must have successfully completed at least 12 college level units
- Must have completed ENG110 prior to registering for program courses. (Please follow these steps for Transcript Evaluation if you are not a SBCC student)
- Must have a minimum grade point average of 2.5
- There is no major or language requirement for this program
- Please note that there is a Covid-19 vaccination mandate for this program. (Please scroll down to "Additional Information.")
After acceptance to the program and official program go announcement:
- Must enroll at SBCC for the fall 2022 semester in order to participate in the program
- Must provide proof of international health insurance
- Trip cancelation insurance with the 'Cancel for Any Reason" (CFAR) add-on is strongly encouraged. Please follow this link for more information or get a quote from InsureMyTrip HERE. Be sure to click "view details" and check "Cancel For Any Reason" to get the correct coverage. Please note that SBCC is no affiliated with or endorses InsureMyTrip. Participants can purchase any plan they choose.
- Enrollment in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) of the U.S. Department of State is required by Accent Global Learning prior to leaving on the program. http://step.state.gov/step/
- Participants must provide proof of Covid-19 vaccination to participate in this program. The Green Pass or equivalent (CDC White Card) is necessary to enter the Accent Global Learning Study Center. Participants’ proof of vaccination (their CDC Card) must indicate the last dose within the previous 9 months, so if you received your second dose (or single dose) before March 2022, you may need to have a booster prior to departure.
Acceptance and participation in the program is not guaranteed until you have completed the interview with the program director and all required documents are received by the Study Abroad office.
The courses that are offered as part of the program are usually transferable to the University of California and California State University. Check with your academic advisor for possible exceptions. You must enroll in a minimum of 12 units throughout the whole program.
Classes offered on this program are:
FS111 - 3 Units - Contemporary World Cinema: Study of international film history, theory and aesthetics, from 1960 to the present. The film medium is addressed as a technology, a business, an art form and as a medium that both reflects and creates popular culture. SBCC General Education: SBCCGE Area C, SBCCGE Area E5. Transfer Information: CSUGE Area C2, IGETC Area 3B, CSU Transferable, UC Transferable
FS120 - 3 Units - Master Filmmakers: Study of film directors and how their work has advanced and defined the art of cinema. Landmark films by celebrated directors, both foreign and domestic, are analyzed in terms of theme, structure and cinematic technique. Emphasis placed on the role of the auteur. Directorial contributions to specific film genres are explored. SBCC General Education: SBCCGE Area C. Transfer Information: CSUGE Area C1, IGETC Area 3A, CSU Transferable, UC Transferable
PHOT109 - 3 Units - Intro to Photography: Students learn the fundamentals of photography including techniques of camera operation, photo composition and lighting, basic digital imaging editing, photo printing paper characteristics, print finishing techniques, and image enhancement techniques using industry-standard hardware and software. Students participate in critiques that emphasize the objective and subjective qualities of their work. Transfer Information: CSU Transferable, UC Transferable. C-ID: JOUR 160. skills Advisories: Eligibility for ENG 98 and ENG 103.
ART104 - 3 Units - History of Art, Renaissance to Modern: Survey of art from 1300 to the end of the 20th century (the Renaissance to Post-Modernism), and an examination of its cultural and conceptual context. SBCC General Education: SBCCGE Area C. Transfer Information: CSUGE Area C1, IGETC Area 3A, CSU Transferable, UC Transferable. UC Transfer Limit: 104 and 104H combined: Maximum credit, one course.. C-ID: ARTH 120.
* based on 20-24 students
** does not include flight, tuition, books
*** includes $250 non-refundable application fee
Below information is tentative and is subject to change until the program is finalized.
Program Fee Includes:
- Welcome and Farewell Meal
- A series of optional cultural events
- STEP (Smart Traveller Enrollment Program) Registration support by Accent Global Learning
- All required fieldtrips and excursions (see 'Program Highlights")
- Rome and Paris Transit Pass (bus and metro)
- Accommodations in double/triple occupancy rooms in shared student apartments (please see more under "Housing")
- Pre-departure orientations by SBCC (usually on campus) and Accent Global Learning (online) and pre-departure handbooks
- Rome and Paris orientation guide and practical walking tour of the areas around the Accent Global Learning Rome and Paris Study Center and the historic city centers
- Access to Accent Global Learning Rome and Paris Study Center including computer lab on weekdays during open hours
- 24/7 Counseling hotline
- Student ID card allowing free entry to most National museums in Paris.
- Extensive cultural and practical information
Program Fee Does Not Include:
- Round-trip airfare (an optional group flight is available through Accent Global Learning) see "Travel"
- Passport or visa fees
- Meals other than those listed
- SBCC tuition, fees, books (non-residents are required to pay out-of-state or out-of-country fees)
- Personal expenses
- Required medical insurance
- CFAR/ IFAR Trip Cancelation Insurance (strongly recommended in case of a Covid-related cancelation of the program)
- Additional fieldtrips and excursions to those listed
- Print cards for computer lab
- Travel, commercial trip cancellation or personal property Insurance
- Any charges relating to damages, losses or expenses incurred at the housing accommodations
- Transportation to and from LAX are not included
- Ground transfer from the Paris airport and to the airport in Rome is only included in the group flight
- Weekly cost of temporary quarantine housing in Paris if necessary
- Weekly cost of temporary quarantine housing in Rome if necessary
- Housing during mid-term break
Need scholarships? Several scholarships are available for our Study Abroad Programs. Visit our Scholarship page HERE. This program also offers a scholarship through Accent Global Learning, the service provider, for up to $3,000. Apply now HERE.
$250 non-refundable application fee/ first payment due with application by May 13, 2022
$3,493 second payment due by May 23, 2022 ** if you plan on purchasing a CFAR/IFAR Trip Cancelation policy (strongly encouraged!) be sure to do this now and use the payment date as your trip confirmation date.
$3,492 final payment due by June 23, 2022
All payments are being made to Accent Global Learning. Payment amounts may vary if you choose the Travel Package or Deferred Payment Plan. All payments, including any supplements, will be paid directly to Accent Global Learning by each participant.
Failure to make any payment when due will automatically cancel the participant from the program seven days after payment due date. All payments are effective the day they are received by the Accent Global Learning San Francisco Center. Student may be re-instated but are subject to availability of space and late enrollment fees.
The fee does not include the security deposit for housing. Participants are responsible for payment of any charges related to damages, losses, and/or expenses that are incurred by participants in the rogram regardless of accommodations. These charges will be invoiced to participants within 12 weeks of the end of he program and are payable immediately upon receipt of invoice. The invoice will be accompanied by an itemized list of damages, losses, and/or expenses attributed to each participant.
- Air Transportation. SBCC has contracted with Accent Global Learning and Frosch Student Travel to provide an optional group flight for the Paris and Rome Semester Program.
Once the program has reached its 20 student minimum, Accent Global Learning with Frosch Student Travel will organize an optional round-trip group flight from LAX to Paris and from Rome to LAX on a regularly scheduled airline.
Airfare for the group flight through Frosch Student Travel: $1449
Airfare is not included in the program price.
The group flight must have a minimum of 10 participants. Space on the group flight cannot be guaranteed after flight payment deadline of May 23, 2022.
You may make your own travel arrangements if you do not wish to travel with the group.
You are strongly encouraged to purchase Trip Cancellation insurance.
- Accent Global Learning representative(s) will meet the participants of the group flight at the appropriate airport in Paris on September 1, 2022
- For the group arrival transfer, Accent Global Learning will arrange a coach bus or taxi transfer from the Paris airport to the designated arrival point in Paris.
- Participants missing the designated group arrival transfer are responsible for checking in at the designated arrival point and time on the scheduled date of arrival and are responsible for all transfer arrangements and costs.
- Detailed arrival information will be provided to all participants approximately two weeks prior to arrival.
- Transportation to and from LAX are not included
- Students are responsible for arranging their own transfer from Paris, France to Rome, Italy, arriving in Rome, Italy no later than October 16, 2022.
- Accent Global Learning will transfer one piece of luggage (20kg or less) from Paris to Rome during the Mid-term break
- On the group departure date, Accent Global Learning will arrange a group departure transfer (via coach bus and/or taxi) from the deginated departure point in Rome to the Rome airport. The group departure transfer will be cancelled if the group flight does not meet a minimum of 10 participants and participants will be responsible or their own transfer arrangements to depart Rome upon the departure day.
- Transportation is included to and from all mandatory excursions
- Accent Global Learning will provide students with a Rome transit pass for the duration of the program (bus and metro) and a Paris transit pass for the month of September only. (Students have to cover transit in October)
- Double/triple occupancy rooms in shared student apartments in Paris.
- Double/triple occupancy rooms shared student apatments in the Residence in Trastevere, or similar shared student apartments with a kitchen, bathroom , and general living area.
- Participants who are unable to check in at the designated arrival point and time may be required to make and pay for their own accommodations for the first night.
There is no housing provided during mid-term break October 8 - October 16, 2022.
Exact housing placement will be provided to participants upon arrival in Paris and Rome.
Accent Global Learning only contracts with approved housing providers for participant housing and is unable to rent from online rental services.
Pets are not allowed in program housing.
Should a participant test positive for Covid-19 during the program, and therefore need to self-quarantine outside of the program housing, Accent Global Learning will assist in locating temporary housing for that participant as quickly as possible. The cost for this temporary housing will be $140 per student per night in Paris, and $80 per student per night in Rome and will be invoiced to the participant for as many weeks as quarantine is necessary. The participant will need to remain in the temporary quarantine housing for the duration of the illness and until cleared by local health authorities. Accent Global Learning will assist with ordering food and supplies for home delivery, for which participants will cover the costs.
Single Room Supplement will be charged for a single occupancy room in a shared student apartment in Paris, and a single occupancy room in a shared student apartment in the Residence in Trastevere in Rome, when available. Single occupancy rooms are limited in availability and should be requested directly with Accent Global Learning upon acceptance to the program and will not be known until approximately on to two weeks prior to the program departure date. : $1,150
The program cost does not include a per student security deposit. Students are responsible for payment of any charges related to damages, losses, and/or expenses that are incurred by the students in the program. These charges will be invoiced to the student within 12 weeks of the endof the program and are payable immediately upon receipt of invoice. The invoice will be accompanied by an itemized list of damages, losses, and/or expenses attributed to each student.
A Welcome and Farewell meal will be provided for all participants.
Due to the ongoing pandemic and potential changes, this information is subject to change.
Application has closed.
Application Deadline: May 13, 2022
Download and complete required documents BEFORE starting your online application. All forms are fillable PDF's. Please download the forms, save them to your computer, complete your portion and save it again. Then the form is ready to be passed on the the person completing the rest of the form.
- Student Conduct Release Form
- Recommendation Form 1
- Recommendation Form 2
The Student Conduct Release Form needs to be completed by the appropriate school official at your school. If you are currently, or have most recently been attending SBCC, this school official is the Associate Dean, Dr. Christopher Johnson, located at Campus Center CC-222. You can submit the form to his assistant Candee Gyll at firstname.lastname@example.org. Original signatures must be obtained. If you are or have most recently been a High School student, your High School official responsible for student and academic conduct must complete this form. At least one recommendation needs to be completed by a faculty. The second form can be completed by another faculty, or a supervisor. All forms should be uploaded via the online application when you submit it.
Please make sure you read all the instructions on how to apply before starting your application as you will not be able to save and continue the form. You will need to complete your required documents prior to starting the application.
After review of your application, the program director, Professor Stinson will schedule an interview with you. As long as SBCC staff is working remotely or if you live outside of the Santa Barbara area, interviews will be held by phone, Zoom or Skype.
Once you have officially been ccepted to the program, the application will be forwarded to Accent Global Learning who will get in touch with you for the payment of the application fee. The non-refundable $250 application fee will have to be payed within 24hrs of Accent Global Learning Lerning contacting you. Your spot on the program is not confirmed until the payment is made. We advise you to make sure you have the amount of the application fee set aside at the time you are applying for, or get accepted into the program.
Please review the cancelation policy below and on the Accent Global Learning website.
Subsequent payments must be made directly to Accent Global Learning. Failure to make any payment when due will automatically cancel you from the program one week after the payment due date. All payments are effective the day they are received by Accent Global Learning.
For questions about the application or the application process please contact the Study abroad office.
Any individual cancellation must be made in writing to Accent Global Learning and is effective the date of the receipt by Accent Global Learning. In addition, student must e-mail the SBCC Study Abroad office at email@example.com.
101 days or more prior to the start of program: $250
70 - 100 days or more prior to start of program: $2,500
50-69 days prior to start of program: $3,000
15-49 days prior to start of program: $3,500
0-14 days prior to start of progra: No refund
Should the program be cancelled after the program start date, no refund amount can be guaranteed, although Accent Global Learning will make reasonable efforts to seek refunds from third parties for costs not yet incurred. Accent Global Learning will assist students with organizing return tickets home. Any additional charges for transportation or housing will be at the student's expense.
Please refer to Accent Global Learning's cancellation policies for any changes or updates, which may be made, without prior notification, at any time.
IMPORTANT UPDATE REGARDING COVID-19 & REQUIREMENTS (updated 6/3/22)
Given the ever-evolving nature of COVID-19 circumstances and our aim to ensure that all program participants have a unique, unforgettable, immersive, and safe time abroad, SBCC requires that all program participants (students, faculty leaders, spouses alike) be fully vaccinated prior to their departure to Italy. The Green Pass or equivalent (CDC White Card) is necessary to enter the Accent Global Learning Study Center. Participants’ proof of vaccination (their CDC Card) must indicate the last dose within the previous 9 months, so if you received your second dose (or single dose) before March 2022, you will need a booster prior to departure. Italy/France/Spain: Vaccination (first 2 doses or J&J) valid for 9 months, third dose (booster) unlimited validity.
Furthermore, as proof of vaccination may be required for entry into Italy as well as establishments, institutions and transportation in Italy, Accent Global Learning, our service provider, and SBCC are not responsible for participants’ inability to gain entry to Italy or participate in required program activities, lectures, visits or excursions due to lack of proof of vaccination.
In addition, if you are planning on traveling outside of Italy, please keep in mind that the majority of European citizens are now fully vaccinated, and local regulations provide the freedom to explore, learn, travel, and partake in the unique cultural experiences we have offered for many years. In most cases, however, these freedoms apply solely to fully-vaccinated individuals (or those who have recently recovered from COVID-19). Non-vaccinated individuals must present a negative test (sometimes a PCR test) for all activities in some countries. In most cases, these official tests are only valid for 24 hours, time consuming, and are at the individual’s expense.
Some countries have stricter regulations, declaring that only vaccinated or recovered people can participate in indoor activities (for example, restaurant and museums visits), and a negative test will not be sufficient for entry.
All program participants deserve a transformational academic experience abroad and should be permitted equal access to all elements of their international program.
Bring your original CDC White Card with you on the program and keep a copy in a separate place abroad. In case you loose your original CDC White card, it may be easier to get it replaced if you can show a copy.
Service Provider: For over 30 years Accent Global Learning has been a behind-the-scenes force working with colleges, universities, and university systems to achieve the missions more effectively and economically through the thoughtful, strategic use of global education. With pedagogical expertise, deep local networks, and unparalleled customization and care, Accent Global Learning extends each institution’s ability to deliver meaningful global learning opportunities
Please find CDC Guidelines for Italy HERE.
Accent Global Learning
2560 Ninth St, Suite 315A
Berkeley, CA 94710
Follow SBCC Study Abroad on Instagram for meeting announcements, information and photos from past programs and more @studyabroadsbcc
Program Orientation: A mandatory pre-departure meeting will be conducted at SBCC or online in August 2022, introducing the academic course work, addressing general aspects of study abroad and cross-cultural learning and providing practical information regarding preparation and travel. Please check with the Study Abroad Office for the exact date before you make your travel arrangements.
An on-site orientation in Paris held by Accent Global Learning staff on the day after arrival covers practical matters as well as aspects of cross-cultural living and learning, giving program participants the tools they need to make the most of their time in Paris.
Santa Barbara City College
Study Abroad Office
International Education Center, Room 1
721 Cliff Drive
Santa Barbara, CA 93109
Phone: (805) 730-4294
Interesting websites to prepare for your trip:
The Ultimate Travel Guide to Rome
Rail Europe Rome Information
How to use public transportation in Rome
Off The Beaten Path Things To Do in Rome
Top 10 Alternative Sights in Rome
Where to eat and how to find the best food in Rome
Guide to movie theatres in Rome with English language films
Travelers Health CDC
International Student Identity Card (ISIC)
Travel Insurance Quotes
International Student Insurance
AIG Travel Guard
Geo Blue Travel Medical & International Health Insurance
Please email Michael Stinson at firstname.lastname@example.org to confirm the meeting or if you have any questions about the meeting. This will be at the SBCC West Campus, BC Forum. Parents are welcome to join. Masks and Proof of vaccination required to enter the building.Information MeetingsNo more information meetings scheduled.
This site is only accessible with the log-in and password provided by your Program Advisor to the confirmed program participant. Please check your inbox for the information. Please do not share the log-in and password with anyone. All legal documents must be completed and signed and returned to email@example.com by July 8, 2022.
Please follow the instructions on the site to download the fillable PDF documents and use Adobe Sign to add e-signatures to the documents.
studyabroad/documents/secure_ docs_students/paris-rome-fall- 2022.php
Any information on this site is intended for informational purposes only and should not be considered as contractual. Information is subject to change without prior notice.