Graduates from Santa Barbara City College's class of 2019.

Frequently Asked Questions

Click here
to begin the application and enrollment process.

There are two semesters and one summer session. The fall semester begins in August and ends just prior to the winter vacation in December. The spring semester begins in January and ends in May. The summer session begins in June and courses run for up to 10 weeks. See the Academic Calendar and the Schedule of Classes for specific dates.

Click here
for current fee info.

Click here for information on how to register and enroll for classes.

Fees may be paid at the time of registration and are due within seven days. Please see Tuition and Fees for payment options.

Students are permitted to register in a maximum of eighteen (18) units per semester (Fall/Spring). However, students with a cumulative 3.0 grade point average (GPA) with 12 (twelve) or more units (excluding ESL) completed at SBCC are automatically able to enroll in up to 20 (twenty) units. 

Permission to register in excess of twenty (20) units requires academic counselor authorization. Students who do not have a cumulative 3.0 grade point average (GPA) at SBCC and/or who have academic records from another college or high school may take in excess of eighteen (18) units with academic counselor authorization.

During our Summer Semester, students are permitted to register in a maximum of twelve (12) units for the ten-week summer semester.

Dual Enrollment High School Students are permitted to enroll in a maximum of 11.9 college units during the Fall, Spring, or Summer Semesters. If dual enrollment high school students register for more than 11.9 units, they no longer qualify for the tuition waiver and will be responsible for paying the per-credit tuition fee for all 12 or more units.

Click here
for information on adding and dropping classes.

Click here
for a list of common errors and ways to resolve them.

That depends on when you withdraw from the course. A semester length class may be dropped without a "W" (Withdrawal) notation appearing on the transcript through the end of the second week of the semester. A class dropped after the second week and through the ninth week of school will be indicated with a "W" on the transcript. For courses less than a semester in length and for summer, the last day to withdraw without a "W" notation is prior to the 20% point of the class. Withdrawals after the 20% point of the class but before the 60% point will be indicated with a "W" notation on the transcript.

Update your major and/or educational goal instantly online. Login to your campus portal account. Go to Registration and select “Update Ed Goal and Major”.

Click here
for more information on enrollment fee and tuition refund.

You may choose to take a course that is not in your major on a Pass/No Pass basis. If your work is equivalent to a "C" or higher, you will receive a "Pass", but no letter grade. Many students choose this option for a subject that they have had trouble with in the past. Pass/No Pass forms are available online under Admissions & Records. For all terms, the deadline to submit a Pass/No Pass form is by the last date of instruction regardless of the length of the class.

You may audit a course with the instructor's permission. Auditors must apply for admissions and be accepted by the college. Audit request forms must be submitted to Admissions & Records after the second week of the semester (after the first week during summer session) but no later than Friday of the third week (the second week during summer session). For courses that are less than full semester in length, Audit Request Forms must be submitted no later than 30% of the course length.

There is a fee of $15.00 per unit. If you are enrolled in 10 or more units, you may audit up to 3 units for free. Repeatable courses as identified in the college catalog may not be audited.

SBCC's Course Repetition policy significantly changed effective Summer/Fall 2012. For more information, view the policy update. It is important that you understand these changes as you select your classes. These changes include a new definition of what constitutes an "enrollment." Title 5, section 58161 states that an enrollment occurs when a student receives an evaluative grade (A, B, C, D, F, P, NP) or a non-evaluative symbol (W).

In very rare cases, a student may be able to demonstrate extenuating circumstances which may be considered in reinstating enrollment priority. Eligibility for consideration requires a student to be in good academic standing, making good and consistent progress toward completion of informed educational goals that require completion of more than 100 degree applicable units. Visit the Academic Counseling Center for more information.

If you are not 18 years old prior to the beginning of the semester you will need to provide your high school diploma, a copy of your General Education Development (GED), or a copy of the official test results of the California High School Proficiency Exam (CHSPE) to Admissions and Records.

Click here
for more information on ordering transcripts.

Click here
for instructions on how to check transcript status via campus portal.

Click here
for more information on becoming a California resident.

Click here
for Admissions & Records forms.

Click here for Financial Aid Cal Grant information